Candidate for Doctor of Philosophy, Massachusetts Institue of Technology. 2018-present
Massachusetts Institue of Technology, Master of Science. 2018
University of California, Berkeley, Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, High Honors. 2015
Research Assistant (2015 - Present)
- Advisor: Michael Carbin
- Shuffle: Masters-thesis work on verified probabilistic inference
- Reactive Probabilistic Programming: Collaboration with IBM on PPL technologies for reactive (i.e. streaming) programs.
- Belief Programming: Expected dissertation work on programming abstractions for nondeterministic uncertainty.
Facebook Internship (Summer 2018)
- Project: Internal language tools for differentiable programming
- Implemented differentiable programming.
- Embedded a language in Scala.
- Preliminary work on a tensor type system.
- Developed an IntelliJ plugin.
Research Assistant (Summer 2014, Summer 2015)
- Advisor: Rastislav Bodik
- Developed parallel Servo backend for attribute grammar compiler
- Formalized incremental layout
Mozilla Research Internship (Summer 2013)
- Managers: Dave Herman and Jack Moffit
- Member of the 5-person Servo team
- Implemented layout features: floats, CSS box model, text decorations, linebreaking rules
- Progress towards parallel layout
Research Assistant (Summer 2012)
- Advisors: Rastislav Bodik and Leo Meyerovich
- Worked on the Parallel Web Browser project
- Specified a large portion of CSS 2.1 using attribute grammars
- Worked around parallel hazards using subtraversals
Teaching Assistant (Spring 2021)
- Assisted for 6.UAR: undergraduate research
Lab Assistant (Spring 2012)
- Assisted for C.S. 61A, The Structure and Interpretation of Comuter Programs
Publications & Presentations
- "Simplifying Multiple-Statement Reductions in the Polyhedral Model" Cambridge Yang, Eric Atkinson, and Michael Carbin. Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages. 2020. (to appear).
- "Programming and Reasoning with Partial Observability" Eric Atkinson and Michael Carbin. Conference on Object Oriented Programming Systems, Languages, and Applications. 2020.
- "Reactive Probabilistic Programming" Guillaume Baudart, Louis Mandel, Eric Atkinson, Benjamin Sherman, Marc Pouzet, and Michael Carbin. Conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation. 2020.
- "BHive: A Benchmark Suite and Measurement Framework for Validating x86-64 Basic Block Performance Models" Yishen Chen, Ajay Brahmakshatriya, Charith Mendis, Alex Renda, Eric Atkinson, Ondrej Sykora, Saman Amarasinghe, Michael Carbin. Symposium on Workload Characterization (IISWC). 2019.
- "Typesafety for Explicitly-coded Probabilistic Inference Procedures" Eric Atkinson, Master's Thesis. 2018.
- "Towards Correct-by-Construction Probabilistic Inference". Eric Atkinson and Michael Carbin. NIPS Machine Learning Systems workshop. 2016.
- "What We've Learned About Incremental Layout". Eric Atkinson. Bay area Rust Meetup, 2014.
- "Layout in Servo: Parallel and Rustic Tree Traversals" Eric Atkinson. Mozilla Internship Presentations,
- "Parallelizing Browser Layout" Eric Atkinson. 3rd place, Student Research Competition, 34 th ACM SIGPLAN
Conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation, 2013.
- "Parallel Schedule Synthesis for Attribute Grammars" Leo Meyerovich, Rastislav Bodik, Eric Atkinson,
Matthew Torok. 18th ACM SIGPLAN Symposium on Principles and Practice of Parallel Programming, 2013.
- "Superconductor: A Language for Big Interactive Visualizations" Leo Meyerovich, Matthew Torok, Eric
Atkinson, Rastislav Bodik. Workshop on Leveraging Abstractions and Semantics for Highperformance
Computing @ PPoPP 2013.
Honors & Awards
- Jacobs Presidential Fellowship 2015-2016
- EECS Honors Degree Program, 2013 - 2015 (select students with GPA 3.7+, research interest)
- Alumni Association Leadership Award Scholarship, 2011, 2014
- Dean's Honors, Fall 2012present (GPA in top 4%)
- Kraft Award to Freshman, 2011 (awarded to freshman with 4.0 GPA)
Eta Kappa Nu, Mu Chapter (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Honor Society)
- Member, Spring 2013-present
- Officer, Spring 2014-present
- Berke1337 Collegiate Cyber Defense Team